Saturday, January 25, 2014

Faceless Men

I keep to the shadows, the hood of my cloak drawn as far forward as it can go, so that no one can see. It wouldn't do to scare the locals. Not yet, anyway. That will come. I bite back a giggle and pause to calm myself. 

This is my first mission. My first outing. The first time I'll... Well, I'll get to that. Tonight is a test. Now, all of the things that have been done to me, all of the evil, pain and torture will be tested. If I pass, I will live this way forever. My mission is clear. It screams within me.

Do not be seen. Do not draw attention to yourself. Return to your home. Do what is necessary. Cut all ties with the world.

Over and over those instructions were beaten into me. Over and over those instructions were made clear. After the fifth time I could recite them myself. But that is never enough. Not for them. I will be one of them. I will not fail in my mission. They will know. They are watching me now. I know it. I can feel their...eyes isn't the correct word. They have no visible eyes any longer. I will not fail my mission or I will die. I can never go back to the world of men. I am one of them. 

I slipped into the house. It was quiet. The fire burned low. It would go out before the night was over. Soft sounds came from behind the curtain in the back of the house. Soft snores and sighs. 

Her first. 

She was hugely pregnant. I would have frowned but where my mouth was it is blank. I am a creature of magic now. I had not known she was with child when I left all those months ago. Steeling myself, I said it was of no matter. None of it mattered. My knife sliced across her throat and then stabbed into her belly.

"Father?" A soft, sleepy voice. My sweet daughter. 

"Hush child, go back to sleep," I whispered as I moved closer to her bed, careful to keep my face in the shadows of my hood. Faster than a snake, before she could roll over or say anything further, my knife came down across her throat. 

It was over. Suddenly there were two of them beside me. Remember this. You are ours now. You have cut all ties. You are one of the great assassins. You are a Faceless Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment